Monday, November 5, 2012

Trendy

Are you a trend follower? Do you do something just because it's what everyone else is doing? 

There are so many trends. Trends in fashion, technology, hobbies, etc. 
I'm convinced I'm not a trend follower. I like to do my own thing. I don't do something just because it's what everyone else is doing. If there's a trend out there I don't like, then I won't do it. I'm not big on fashion, can't afford to be even if I wanted to. I don't own a pair of Ugg's or a Coach purse or anything else that may be popular out there, and I don't have any desire to.
There are trends in scrapbooking, too, of course. Technique's people try, like, and catch on to or new embellishments that are must haves. I'm not entirely a scrapbook trend follower, either. However, if something is out there that everyone's doing, if I like it, I will try it. 

Sewing on layouts seems to be the thing that everyone is doing. I like the look, it's rather neat. But you, most likely, will not see it on my layouts. I'm not a sewer. I have a sewing machine, but I can't tell you the last time I took it out to use it.

There are some other scrapbook trends that I do like. I do use them on my layouts because I like them and it's fun and will do it even if it's no longer a trend.

Here's an example of one that I really wanted to try. Misting is using spray ink on paper. You can use a little or you can use a lot. It's totally up to you. It adds a little something to the pages. Use it on solid cardstock or patterned paper, doesn't matter.

You can see here where I just used a touch of purple mist on just a part of the layout.
Another trendy scrapbook thing is Washi Tape. What is washi tape? Basically it's tape with a pattern on it. Easy enough! I wasn't going to bother with this, because I just didn't see buying a whole role of the same thing. But, then, I realized, how different is it from buying a whole role of ribbon for a page or two? Same concept and easier to use. So, I caved, and bought some Washi Tape. I picked one with different colors and different patterns that would go with so many different papers. 

The colors of this tape aren't the main colors on this layout, but it does add a little something to it. I'm happy with the results.

Here's the over-all "trendy" layout. Some trends are worth trying, even if you're not a trendy kind of person!
If you're hesitant about trying out a new trend because you aren't a trend follower, try it anyway. You might decide it works for you and if it doesn't, that's ok, too. At the same time, don't feel obligated to try a new trend if you already know it's not for you.

Does your hobby have trends? What are they? Do you use them? Why?

"Don't follow a trend. Follow your heart." ~ Krist Novoselic



No comments:

Post a Comment