Friday, September 28, 2012

A Successful Endeavor

It sure is nice when we can use both of those  words in the same sentence. Yesterday I attempted to make pie filling and jar it, using our abundant supply of apples from this past weekend. Well my attempt turned into quite a success. I managed to get two jar fulls! I may have done more but that's a lot of peeling and cutting! I wanted to make sure the process was going to work. 
I have never canned anything in my life, so this was all new. Then upon my research I found that, yes, I can do this. Even with no experience, no fancy canning equipment...I can do this! Not only did I do it, but it was rather fun, too!
First, I pealed and sliced my apples. Added a bit of lemon juice to keep them from discoloring.
Then I made the yummy, cinnamon sugar mixture...which, by the way, smells amazing when it's cooking, and leaves your kitchen smelling good for hours after!
I put the apples in a large pan with a little bit of water and boiled them for about 10 min.
After sterilizing my jars and lids, I filled them, leaving room at the top of the jars, poured the syrup in the jars, making sure there are no air bubbles.
Sealed the jars, and put them in a large stock pot of boiling water. The jars boiled for about 15 minutes. Carefully, with tongs and pot holders, I took the jars out, allowed them several hours of cooling time, and voila. 
That was it! The lids sealed properly, and we're good to go!
Yes, I did the happy dance, alone, in my kitchen, no one was around. Shhh.
So, of course, yes, I scrapped about it. Are you kidding me? Did you really have to ask? 
This was perfect for my One Little Word Challenge. Using my word with Endeavor and trying a new technique on a layout. Oh yeah! 
Let's see, so my scrapbooking endeavor here, was experimenting some more with misting and masking. Never before, have I done either of the two. Cool, huh?
With my little word being success, I'd say, all and all, it was a pretty successful day!
 The journaling on my layout pretty much summarizes what I've said here about my endeavor. I added a teeny dab of mist on the journal block, as well, just for the fun of it!

Yes, of course, we have a quote, too:

“Feeling and longing are the motive forces behind all human endeavor and human creations.”~ Albert Einstein


No comments:

Post a Comment