Sunday, September 9, 2012

Grandparents Day

As I sit here pondering about grandparents, with today being Grandparent's Day, I think about how fortunate I am to have had the relationship with my grandparents that I had. As a baby and young child I spent lots of time with my paternal grandmother, as she helped my dad take care of me. As I grew up, we'd spend quality time together when we could. She loved playing board games and wouldn't let me win just because I was her granddaughter...a very valuable lesson to this day! I have a lot of respect for that woman, even today, even though she's been gone for several years now. She's gone from the world, but definitely not gone from me.

I was also close with my maternal grandparents. They only lived a few miles away, as I was growing up, so I saw them often. My maternal grandmother has always been my hero. I've scrapped a few layouts of her and my grandfather. My grandfather has moved on, but I am privileged to still have my grandmother, who just turned 88 last month. God bless her. She's an amazing woman, still always on the go, and busy with her social life more than I am at age 39! I love her and respect her and admire her drive. 
Here's a layout I completed, a few years ago. One of the last times my grandmother was in NY visiting. She's in Virginia and getting too old to travel. I treasure the moments that we had and the time we have spent together.


I am also fortunate enough to have some older photos of my grandparents, as well. During one of my visits to Virginia, I took some time to scan in some of my grandmother's old photos. She has albums that date back to the early 1900's! Here's a "then and now" layout I did with my grandparents. I did this layout back in 2007. The photo of "then" was taken in 1952! I love the vintage photos and the old-fashioned feel they have to them.
As you go through this month of September, take some time to think about your grandparents. Whether they're alive today or have passed on. I am sure they left some mark in your heart. How have they inspired you? If you did not know your grandparents, think of the stories people have told you. Or think of your children's grandparents and the relationship they have with them. Is it like the one you had with yours? September is National Grandparent's month. Use this time to think about what grandparents mean to you. Think of the lessons they've taught, the inspiration they provided, and the mark they've made in your life.

In honor of National Grandparent's Month and Grandparent's Day, I've created this Victorian, vintage style picture frame. Perfect for displaying the old-time photos that I cherish so much. The picture in this frame, may look familiar. It's the same photo that I used in the layout above from 1952. Just to show you how lovely the vintage photo looks displayed in this frame.

For all grandparents and grandchildren, this one is especially for you:
"Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do.  Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children."  ~Alex Haley
Happy Grandparent's Day!

2 comments:

  1. What nice things you have to say about your grandparents. They really do leave a mark on our lives, whether we met them or not. Thanks for sharing your projects and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post about Grandparents. My Maternal grandparents are gone but have very many fond memories of them. I try to go see my Paternal grandparents every week but does not always work out that way. Life just gets in the way. I keep thinking they may not be around much longer(they are 82)& I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

    ReplyDelete